BMW sDrive vs. xDrive: What’s the Difference?
BMW sDrive is a BMW two-wheel drive system and BMW xDrive is–yep, you guessed it–the BMW AWD system. xDrive models are sometimes more expensive than their sDrive counterparts, but they offer better traction in slippery driving conditions. Learn more about each at Rallye BMW near Roslyn, then contact us for a test drive to experience these systems in action on a new BMW.
BMW sDrive refers to a drivetrain system that transmits power to only two wheels. Depending on the BMW model, sDrive might be directing power to the front wheels, like in the BMW X2 crossover SUV, or it might be directing power to the rear wheels in sporty models like the 7 Series, for thrilling cornering and handling on Syosset roads.
What sets xDrive all-wheel drive apart from other all-wheel drive systems? The xDrive system is standard on models like the BMW X5, and utilizes intelligent all-wheel drive technology designed and engineered by the brand that is obsessed with performance:
- It works together with Dynamic Stability Control and monitors road conditions.
- If the sensors detect slippery surfaces or loss of traction, the electronically controlled system sends power to the wheels or wheel with the most traction.
- This helps to regain control and maintain responsive handling on Jericho roads.
Which Models are Available with BMW xDrive and BMW sDrive?
- Models with Standard sDrive: BMW 7 series, X1, X2, X3, X6, Z4
- Models with Available xDrive: BMW 2 Series, 3 Series, 4 Series, 5 Series, 6 Series, 7 Series, X1, X2, X3, X6
- Models with Standard xDrive: X4, X5, X7, 8 Series
To get a better idea of how these drivetrains differ, compare the BMW sDrive vs. xDrive specs on the BMW X1:
- BMW X1 sDrive – $34,950 MSRP: 228 hp, 0-60 mph in 6.6 seconds, 258 lb-ft of torque, 3,542 pounds curb weight
- BMW X1 xDrive – $36,950 MSRP: 228 hp, 0-60 mph in 6.3 seconds, 258 lb-ft of torque, 3,697 pounds curb weight
- Both have the same 8-speed STEPTRONIC automatic transmission with Sport and Manual modes
Experience the Driving Power of a BMW in Westbury
Learn More at Rallye BMW
Westbury drivers will be pleased to learn that Rallye BMW offers a wide selection of new BMW X7 models. BMW continues its tradition of providing exceptional performance along with premium and stylish interiors that allows this SUV to be envied whether you’re commuting for work in Syosset or taking the family out in Roslyn. There are…
The 2020 BMW X3 can tow up to 4,400 pounds, no matter which trim level you choose, so if you need to haul a camper or boat around Syosset or for an adventure out of town, the X3 has your back. Explore BMW X3 towing specs and performance features that will make towing easier, and…
The 2020 BMW X5 is not only modern and sleek-looking on the outside, but it also upholds the BMW standards of luxury inside the cabin as well. Features that Syosset drivers can look forward to include the premium Harman Kardon® Surround Sound Audio System and a panoramic moonroof for a clearer view of the stars….