BMW sDrive vs. xDrive: What’s the Difference?
BMW sDrive is a BMW two-wheel drive system and BMW xDrive is–yep, you guessed it–the BMW AWD system. xDrive models are sometimes more expensive than their sDrive counterparts, but they offer better traction in slippery driving conditions. Learn more about each at Rallye BMW near Roslyn, then contact us for a test drive to experience these systems in action on a new BMW.
BMW sDrive refers to a drivetrain system that transmits power to only two wheels. Depending on the BMW model, sDrive might be directing power to the front wheels, like in the BMW X2 crossover SUV, or it might be directing power to the rear wheels in sporty models like the 7 Series, for thrilling cornering and handling on Syosset roads.
What sets xDrive all-wheel drive apart from other all-wheel drive systems? The xDrive system is standard on models like the BMW X5, and utilizes intelligent all-wheel drive technology designed and engineered by the brand that is obsessed with performance:
- It works together with Dynamic Stability Control and monitors road conditions.
- If the sensors detect slippery surfaces or loss of traction, the electronically controlled system sends power to the wheels or wheel with the most traction.
- This helps to regain control and maintain responsive handling on Jericho roads.
Which Models are Available with BMW xDrive and BMW sDrive?
- Models with Standard sDrive: BMW 7 series, X1, X2, X3, X6, Z4
- Models with Available xDrive: BMW 2 Series, 3 Series, 4 Series, 5 Series, 6 Series, 7 Series, X1, X2, X3, X6
- Models with Standard xDrive: X4, X5, X7, 8 Series
To get a better idea of how these drivetrains differ, compare the BMW sDrive vs. xDrive specs on the BMW X1:
- BMW X1 sDrive – $34,950 MSRP: 228 hp, 0-60 mph in 6.6 seconds, 258 lb-ft of torque, 3,542 pounds curb weight
- BMW X1 xDrive – $36,950 MSRP: 228 hp, 0-60 mph in 6.3 seconds, 258 lb-ft of torque, 3,697 pounds curb weight
- Both have the same 8-speed STEPTRONIC automatic transmission with Sport and Manual modes
Experience the Driving Power of a BMW in Westbury
Ready to see how an sDrive or xDrive feels in action? Visit Rallye BMW, your BMW dealership near Jericho to test drive a model from the BMW lineup.
Learn More at Rallye BMW
Saturday, June 8th 12 PM – 5 PM On Saturday, June 8th, Rallye BMW will be hosting its 2nd adoption event in partnership with North Shore Animal League America – the world’s largest, most comprehensive no-kill rescue and adoption organization. Come out to support this great organization with us – you might even find a…
The 2019 BMW 3 Series once again sets the standard for the segment. All new for 2019, you can still expect the dynamic driving performance the 3 Series is known for, but this updated version has been enhanced to deliver more power, agility, and excitement than ever before. Rallye BMW is delighted to share the latest…
Shopping for a 2019 BMW 5 Series in Syosset but not sure what performance options are out there? Take a look at each 5 Series engine offering and performance features to decide what trim level and specs are right for you. Then contact your local authorized BMW retailer to schedule a test drive and get…