What Does BMW Stand For?
Shopping for a new BMW inSyosset and wondering what BMW stands for? BMW is a German acronym for Bayerische Motoren Werke, or Bavarian Motor Works in English. Explore the origins of the BMW name and more at Rallye BMW near Roslyn.
How Did BMW Get Its Name?
- 1913: BMW partially has roots in Rapp Motorenwerke which was founded by Karl Rapp. Headquartered in Munich, Germany, they manufactured aircraft engines.
- 1917: Karl Rapp left Rapp Motorenwerke, who then changed their name to Bayerische (Bavarian) Motoren Werke.
- Bavaria is the federal state that Munich is located in, and it borders Austria and the Czech Republic to the south and the east
- 1917: BMW logo is originally developed and changes little over the years. It honors the blue and white checkered diamond-patterned Bavarian flag.
- BMW AG is the official company that owns BMW. “AG” stands for Aktiengesellschaft, meaning an incorporation owned by shareholders.
Bimmer vs. Beemer: What is the Difference?
If you heard the term “Beemer” or “Bimmer” used around Roslyn, you might already know that someone is talking about a BMW. But what is the difference? These terms can refer to a BMW motorcycle or a BMW automobile. In the U.S., some auto enthusiasts maintain that “Beemer” only refers to motorcycles and “Bimmer” only refers to cars, while in Canada people tend to say “Bimmer” for both motorcycles and cars.
What is the BMW Slogan?
The current BMW slogan “The Ultimate Driving Machine” was marketed in North America starting in 1974. It was replaced briefly in 2010 with the slogan “Joy,” but made its return in 2012.
Experience the BMW Difference at Rallye BMW
More From Rallye BMW
Saturday, June 8th 12 PM – 5 PM On Saturday, June 8th, Rallye BMW will be hosting its 2nd adoption event in partnership with North Shore Animal League America – the world’s largest, most comprehensive no-kill rescue and adoption organization. Come out to support this great organization with us – you might even find a…
The 2019 BMW 3 Series once again sets the standard for the segment. All new for 2019, you can still expect the dynamic driving performance the 3 Series is known for, but this updated version has been enhanced to deliver more power, agility, and excitement than ever before. Rallye BMW is delighted to share the latest…
Shopping for a 2019 BMW 5 Series in Syosset but not sure what performance options are out there? Take a look at each 5 Series engine offering and performance features to decide what trim level and specs are right for you. Then contact your local authorized BMW retailer to schedule a test drive and get…